Friday 25 March 2011

1992 Charles And Eddie: Would I Lie To You?

....and as if to show exactly what I meant in calling 'The End Of The Road' cartoon soul, Charles And Eddie pitch up to show us exactly how it should be done with a song that showcases how it used to be done. With the US in the grip of an endless slew of hip hop/new jack swing/R&B beat led productions, 'Would I Lie To You' harks back to the funky, sweet Philadelphia Sound and an Al Green inspired vocal (on a tune that recalls his 'Tired Of Being Alone') that even manages to celebrate love through negating doubt. "Look into my eyes, can't you see they're open wide. Would I lie to you baby" - I'd believe them in a heartbeat, even without the spoken, open wound honesty of "Do you think I give my love away/that's not the kind of game I play" at 2:30. It's not pastiche or parody and neither is it homage; 'Would I Lie To You' is straight up revival of a sound from yesterday with nary a moment of originality in its whole running time. But while I'd be the first to say that you can't move forward by standing still, it's a real shame that an act who could produce something as glorious as this was so short lived.


No comments:

Post a Comment