Wednesday 11 May 2011

1994 Manchester United Football Club: Come On You Reds

I've already expressed my lack of enthusiasm for football songs in the charts, but while I can sort of understand a song celebrating a national identity doing well, one that bigs up a club side leaves me without even the flimsiest straw to grab at. Unless you're a Manchester United fan then this party clapalong set to the tune of the already intensely irritating 'Burning Bridges' by Status Quo (with their full co-operation - "We'll maintain The Status Quo, Man United here we go" indeed) is not going to draw in the non partisan on any level. As a 'winding up' exercise for non fans then it's second to none, but I think ultimately it all forms part of the general aimlessness at the mid point of the decade, a number one indicative of the lack of direction in popular music that goes some way to explain why, in the face of such apathy, the waiting Britpop era was embraced so readily . I was drunk for most of 1994 myself though so I didn't care.


No comments:

Post a Comment