Friday 10 June 2011

1995 Take That: Never Forget

"With danger on my mind I would stay on the line of hope, I knew I could make it. Once I knew the boundaries I looked into the clouds and saw my face in the moonlight" - well you know the score by now; Gary Barlow writes some hobnailed lyrics, I make some tart comments and we all move on to the next song. Job done. This time though I'm going to cut him some slack. Yes those lines (and others therein - "We've come so far and we've reached so high, and we've looked each day and night in the eye") are rotten fruit plucked from the ugly tree, but at least this time they aren't trampling some poor girl in the dirt. Instead, 'Never Forget' carries a 'live for the moment because we'll all be dead one day' message ("We're not invincible, we're not invincible. No we're only people, we're only people. Hey we're not invincible, we're not invincible") that celebrates life and all who live it.

There's no harm at all in a bit of positivism regardless of the source, but 'Never Forget' falls flat in comparison with the previous Take That singles we've met which at least had a bit of oomph that masked the thoughtlessness within. 'Never Forget's choirboy opening promises an anthem but instead falls into a rut of a mid pace, minor key dance groove where it stays for its entire six minute running time without once conjuring up the elegiac mood it aims for. Which means 'Never Forget' gets rather boring before it gets to its end and - ironically - it makes it probably the least memorable of all their hits. But as I need a tart comment to end on, I would say that. Wouldn't I?



No comments:

Post a Comment