Monday 8 August 2011

1997 No Doubt: Don't Speak

Originally a ska/punk crossover band, No Doubt's 'Don't Speak' is gimmick free rock balladry that boldly walks the fine line separating the overground from the underground, with the ever photogenic Gwen Stafani effortlessly exploiting the duality of the mainstream appeal of Madonna and the alt rock credibility of Courtney Love. "As we die, both you and I, with my head in my hands I sit and cry " - 'Don't Speak' is an angsty wail all right, but it keeps it's pecker up with a fist pumping, mosh friendly chorus that welcomes everyone to the party, and therein lies the problem - for a band riding the vague wave of West Coast, punk inspired skate/guitar/rock acts (along with Green Day, The Offspring, Primus, Rancid etc), the smooth edged 'Don't Speak' is the rock ballad Celine Dion would record if she ever wanted to show she's down with the kids. Which is to say that it's a little on the drive time bland side for my tastes, and though it never fails to catch my ear it never quite manages to hold my interest.



No comments:

Post a Comment