Tuesday 9 August 2011

1997 Spice Girls: Who Do You Think You Are/Mama

A double A side from the girls, but only one of them need detain us for long - 'Who Do You Think You Are' is a Hydra headed tune that's part Europop, part seventies funk, part disco and with House overtones that are all homage to Madonna's 'Vogue'. So many cooks could have spoiled the broth, but each ingredient is used sparingly and in pinches to create a song that's low on calories but high on an effortless joi de vivre that even manages to counter that awkward shift of key and tempo at the "Swing it, shake it, move it, make it" breakdowns. There's nothing new here of course, but take it on it's own terms and it does the job of keeping the dancefloor ticking over.

'Mama', on the other hand, is the sickly confection of the girls paying tribute to their mothers who once upon a time "used to be my only enemy and never let me free, catching me in places that I know I shouldn't be" but now, older and wiser, they're happy to admit "so now I see through your eyes, all that you did was love. Mama I love you" in an updated 'There's No One Quite Like Mama' style. It was probably a godsend for the lazy at Mother's Day and cheaper than a box of chocolates too, but it's too much 'Strawberry Kiss', soft centred goo for me to cope with I'm afraid - stick to the 'Hazelnut Heaven's girls.*


* Fans of Cadbury Milk Tray will know what I mean. Oh yes.



No comments:

Post a Comment