Saturday 17 September 2011

1998 Spice Girls: Viva Forever

Now a fifth less spicy since the acrimonious departure of Geri Haliwell (whatever happened to "friendship never ends" eh?), 'Viva Forever' is a breathless, Latin flavoured ballad that showcases a more mature approach to girls’ craft. Well that's what I'd write if I was on their press release payroll anyway, and I'd almost believe it too, but for every sure step they take along that road 'Viva Forever' raises a leg and guffs a waft of dinner party cheesy listening that drags them back two more. I'm happy to own up to be carrying more baggage that your average Spice Girl fan, but for me 'Viva Forever' is a neat prĂ©cis of that 'musical interlude' in countless seventies variety or comedy sketch shows that let the mums and dads in the audience catch their breath between the frivolity around it; when the last notes dies away, I half expect Ronnie Corbett to turn up and drone an anecdote from a comfy armchair.* Safe and comfy and middle of the road - that's 'Viva Forever' in a nutshell. Which isn't a great evil in itself, but the Spice Girls' manifesto promised so much more than this Brotherhood of Man wannabe.

* With no apologies at all to anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about.


No comments:

Post a Comment