Friday 22 July 2011

1996 Deep Blue Something: Breakfast At Tiffany's

American College Rock: now there's a broadbrush of a genre with the potential to either wag my tail or sink my heart depending on who's purveying it. Basically a wider catch all version of British 'indie' and usually played on guitars by white faces, at one end of the spectrum are the minor revolutions of (early) REM, The Feelies, The Replacements, 10,000 Maniacs, Pixies, Husker Du (yes, it can cross over into hardcore too) et al, while at the other end sits......well, stuff like this; a white bread whinge set to a Byrdsian jangle.

'Breakfast At Tiffany's' finds singer Todd Pipes struggling to find a shared connection with his girlfriend that will convince her to prop up a fading relationship. "'And I said what about "Breakfast at Tiffany's? She said, 'I think I remember the film, And as I recall, I think, we both kinda liked it.' And I said, 'Well, that's the one thing we've got.'" - even if it did have more guts and passion in its clatter and stutter than a soundcheck run-through, 'Breakfast at Tiffany's' would still irritate in a twee, middle class, would-be highbrow pretension delivered in an inarticulate, reluctantly overheard, "please will you shut up" conversation in a public place when you're trying to concentrate read a book kind of way. A book which, in this case, is much better than the film, though either would be a far preferable way to pass the time than listening to Pipes and his hangdog simper. "Our lives have come between us, but I know you just don't care" - get a grip man, for all our sakes.


No comments:

Post a Comment